Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bedtime Routine!

I started the kids on a bedtime routine very early on, and I truly think this is one of the reasons they sleep so well. Our routine starts after I've cleared the dishes from the table and the kids have picked up all  their toys--somewhere between 6 and 6:30. We head upstairs and I set out their pajamas and diaper/pull-up. The kids get undressed and use the potty as I fill the tub and then everyone in for washing and play. Depending on mommy's mood the day, a bath can last anywhere from 10 minutes to a half hour. Carleigh usually ends up being the first one out followed by Nicolaus. Once dry, they brush their teeth and I scoop up Carleigh to get her dressed. During this time Nicolaus is usually running, jumping, screaming, laughing, dancing, etc. After combing Carleigh's hair, I help Nicolaus get dressed and snuggle him into our bed to watch a show while I put his Sissy down. She must get a hug and kiss from her brother to even consider heading to her room. After she finds her blankie and chooses a baby or animal to sleep with, we read three stories, kiss goodnight and then she's in her crib for me to sing her a few songs. Sometimes she is asleep before I leave the room--sometimes not.  After Nicolaus' show is over, we head to his room for three stories and then climb in his bed together with his truck blankie where I sing to him and tickle his back. He has just started to enjoy listening to music while he falls asleep (some of his favorites are Celtic Dreamland and the Narnia soundtrack). It never fails that he will scream for a drink or to be snuggled again before he falls asleep. The whole process takes about an hour and a half... I'm usually heading back downstairs to clean the kitchen a little before 8:00 pm .

No comments: