Monday, February 1, 2010

Proud Mommy Moment

I will be the first to admit that in the short span of his life, my son has managed to wrap me around his cute little finger. I go to him when he cries, hold him when he wants to be held, give in to what he wants to eat and rock him to bed every night. With baby girl on the way, I have come to realize Nicolaus needs to get used to not always being the center of attention because, lets face it, he won't be. So I must grow a wee bit thicker skin. Anyway, this weekend I baked some homeade chocolate chip cookies. Somehow or another Nicolaus picked up the word "cookie." Mind you he has only had a total of one or two cookies if you add up the bites here and there so John and I are not quite sure where he learned the word. So this morning he is sitting on the floor in the kitchen and throws himself into a tantrum shouting "cookie, cookie!" and pointing to the cookie jar. I refused to give in to this first REAL tantrum and sat in the family room with toys surrounding me making sure he saw what a great time I was having. In an effort to get me to notice him, Nicolaus starts doing what can only be described as "the snake" on the floor, crying all the while. This continued for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden he stood up, walked over to where I sat, gave me a hug and started playing. It really does work to not give in to their tantrums!

1 comment:

Kelly M. said...

Good for you Tammy! I know it is so hard not to give our little angels exactly what they want, when they want it. But in the long run, they'll be better people for it.