Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review | The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

I've never written a book review, and perhaps this doesn't even count because I have not finished the book, but I must share how much I love this one. A couple Sunday's ago, one of the Pastors at our church mentioned a story book Bible he recently purchased for his grandchildren. I tapped on John's shoulder asking him to make a note in his iPhone of the author so we could look it up. About a week later, the same book came up on one of the blogs I follow. I knew I needed to get this book.



The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name by Sally Loyd-Jones is wonderful. Written for children ages 4 and up, this book tells the stories of the Bible in an entertaining and easy-to-understand fashion. The illustrations provided by Jago are vibrant and a perfect accompaniment. Each individual tale is written in a way to demonstrate how every story in the Bible fits together to tell one greater story, the story of Jesus. How the early books of the Bible tell of His coming and the later books fulfill that promise.

Every nap time and bed time each of my kids gets to pick a story. This book is always chosen both times by my four year old. He loves it and cannot get enough of it, often wanting to read more than one story from its pages at a time. He already recognizes the connection of each story to Jesus and excitedly says,"Just like Jesus!" when we finish.

As an adult I too am enjoying reading Loyd-Jones' book. It effectively summarizes the same passages I read each day as I work through The One Year Bible on my Kindle. If you are looking for a storybook Bible either to introduce Jesus to your family or to accompany your family's devotional time, I strongly encourage you to buy this book.  

No comments: