Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolve

Resolve

1. to come to a determination; make up one's mind; determine
2. to break up or disintegrate.
(Dictionary.com)

A new year starts today. So many of us think of New Years as a time for change, a chance to do something that will somehow make us a better person in our own eyes or in the eyes of others. Many resolutions will be made today for 2013. "Lose Weight," "Find Love," "Learn to be a better _____."  It saddens me that in 350 or so more days most of us will be beating ourselves up about which resolutions we failed to accomplish and find ourselves making the same resolutions on the eve of 2014 because we are once again unhappy with something about our selves from 2013.

Last year often found me browsing Facebook and scouring Pinterest. I Literally spent hours collecting projects, crafts, designs, patterns, schedules and exercises in order to find ways or things which might make me a better mom, wife, or woman. For a time I found myself getting anxious about all the crafts and teachable moments I should be having with my kids. I have commented on events and milestones in others' lives on Facebook wondering, "how does that mom/dad do it all," or "that's what I should be doing!" and then feeling guilty because of it. A pastor at our church shared with us one Sunday, "Comparison only leads to pride or discontent." Why do I put myself through that?

So for 2013 my goal is to be happy with my SELF--the person God made and who He wants me to be. I need to stop thinking about all the things I should do or become to be "better," and focus on what I am good at and who I am really. I think I was a darn good person before Pinterest came along--we all were. And while a new year does provide a clean slate for us, so too does every day. Every day we have a chance to enjoy life and be present in it. Every day we can thank God for who we are. Now I'm not saying we shouldn't aim to loose a few pounds (raising hand) or not utilize social networking, but we shouldn't let it be who we are. A resolution shouldn't be what defines us for a year or let it be what breaks us down.

Heavenly Father,
Thank you for your Grace and another year to learn what that means for me. I pray that I can become truly happy with my Self and faithful that I am where You want me and living out my purpose in Your name. I pray that I can bring others closer to you as I grow to better know you and provide an example to my children on what it means to be a Christian. 

In Jesus' name,
Amen


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! Amen!!!!! And you are an amazing mother... Xoxo!
Jenn